My Poor Neglected Back-Burner Story
I started writing the rough draft for my Hansel and Gretel inspired young adult book back in February 2010. I’ve worked on it off and on throughout the years – although most of 2014 past without me even opening the file – but my progress keeps getting interrupted by different projects, like in 2012 when the idea for The Trouble with Snowmen (Trouble with Men series summer 2015) hit me, and it wouldn’t let me go until I finished writing it … and then, you know, I had to write book 2 (The Trouble with Scarecrows).
A few months ago, I dusted it off and read over it, and these were some of my thoughts:
- I should have taken better notes.
- My rough drafts are more like outlines. Unfinished, vague outlines …
- It doesn’t matter where I intended this story to go before, it will either come back to me or new ideas (better ones hopefully) will emerge.
- The concept is solid, I can work with this.
This has been my main project but now I have something else tapping me on the shoulder – book 3 of the Trouble with Men series – But I want to at least get finished with a solid rough draft … or at least take better notes. Well, hopefully one day this poor story will make it to second draft!
Love and Laughter,
- Posted in: Dorlana's Books ♦ Dorlana's Supernatural Fairy Tales ♦ fairy tales ♦ paranormal ♦ rough draft ♦ writing ♦ writing life
- Tagged: amwriting, author, book, contemporary fairy tale, dark fantasy, dorlana vann, fairy tale, fairy tale inspired, novel writing, work in progress, writer, writing a book, writing life, YA, young adult novel